I was inspired to make some coconut rice when my auntie brought home fresh coconuts. Cooking is on a whole other level when using fresh ingredients and i’m usually tempted to buy the stuff in the tin, which I sometimes do but nothing taste better than fresh vegetables or fruits. I also made a pot of delicious Thai curry sauce using my fave ingredients ‘butternut squash’, and I served it with the rice. It tasted so good! Go to my next post for that recipe, click here!
Here’s the recipe for the coconut rice:
- 2 Whole Coconuts (opened from shell and chopped)
- 3 Cups easy cook Rice (washed)
- 1 Cup Soya milk
- 2 cup water
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 Large Onions
- 1tbsp Mixed Spices
- 1 tsp Mixed Herbs
- Salt to taste
- Blend the chopped coconuts with the soya milk in a food processor, sieve to extract the milk in a bowl and set aside the pulp in a separate bowl.
- Mix in the water with the coconut pulp and sieve again to extract any remaining flavour.
- Pour the milk into a crock pot and simmer over medium heat until it reduces to a half.
- Pour in the chopped onions and pepper and let it simmer for 2 minutes
- Mix the spices into the pot of milk, then pour and stir in the rice with it.
- Pour in the water, season with salt and stir.
- Cover the pot with a lid, reduce the heat and let the rice cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, then add in the mixed herbs and stir.
- Cover the pot first with foil paper and put the lid on.
- Let it cook for another 10 minutes.
When the rice is done it will be firm but tender, let it seat before you serve.
Serve with the curry sauce, click here for recipe!