- Just like jollof rice, fried rice is a staple Nigerian meal. The base of a Nigerian style fried rice is to cook the rice in chicken or vegetable stock before frying, freshly made chicken stock is usually used when available but a store bought stock cube is also suitable.
Packed with a rich variety of vegetables and optional extras like prawns and livers, making fried rice the Nigerian way is something everyone should know… Allow me to say; “one taste and your like will not be the same”. Haha!
This recipe calls for the basic ingredients for a typical Nigerian fried rice, feel free to explore your tastebuds by adding some extras of your chosen. Here’s the recipe:
- 2 Cups Long Grain Rice (washed)
- 3 Medium Carrots (diced)
- 220g Green Beans (chopped)
- 2 Green Bell Peppers (diced)
- 3 Medium Spring Onions (chopped)
- 1 Stalk of Celery (chopped)
- 1 Thumb Ginger (finely chopped & optional)
- 1 Clove of Garlic (finely chopped & optional)
- 350g Can Sweet Corn (drained & optional)
- 350g Green Peas (drained & optional)
- 2 Vegetable Stock Cube (10g each)
- 3 Cups Water
- 1/4 Sunflower Oil
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp salt (or more to taste)
Note: You can substitute the 3cups of water and stock cube with 3 cups of fresh (homemade) stock.
- Dissolve 1 stock cube, salt and pepper with the water in a pot over medium heat and pour in the rice to cook until the water dries out.
- Pour the cooked rice in a bowl and keep in a cool place or refrigerate to stop it from cooking any further.
- Now place a deep pan on medium-high heat, pour in the oil and let it heat up for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the fresh vegetables starting with the ginger and garlic, then green peppers, spring onions and celery, then the carrots and green beans, giving 1 minute inbetween whilst stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Crush the other stock cube into the vegetable mixture and let it all fry together for 5minutes then gradually stir in the cold rice.
- Add the drained sweet corn and green peas, stir lightly and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and serve hot.
Serve with either Salad, Moi-moi, Suya, Chicken, Plantain and/or Sweet Potatoes. To name a few.